2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
5 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup milk
5 egg whites at room temperature
½ teaspoon cream of tarter
1 cup of sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ pints vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
For the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Butter and flour two 8” cake pans
3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt
4. Using a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
5. Add vanilla and stir to combine. Slowly add dry ingredients and combine.
6. Add melted butter and milk, and mix until just combined.
7. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake, about 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven, let cool for 8 – 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a rack.
For the Meringue
1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
2. Gradually add sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until glossy stiff peaks form.
1. Line a 2 quart mixing bowl with plastic wrap.
2. Cut pieces of cake into wedges and completely line the bowl with cake. Use small pieces of cake to fill gaps between the wedges and at the rim of the bowl.
3. Fill the cake lined bowl to the top with softened ice cream. Cover the top with plastic wrap and freeze for at least one hour.
4. Remove cake from freezer, remove plastic wrap and turn out flat side down on a serving plate.
5. Coat cake with a thick layer of meringue. Using a fork, make decorative swirls in the meringue.
6. Using a kitchen torch, brown the meringue all over and serve.