Butternut squash ravioli
For the Ravioli
3 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
Pinch of salt
For the Filling
1 half butternut squash (cut lengthwise), cleaned and seeded
1 cup fresh ricotta
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sage, roughly chopped
2 amaretti cookies
1. To make the pasta mound the flour on a clean countertop or large cutting bowl.
2. Make a well in the center and add the eggs and salt. Using a fork, mix the eggs while slowly incorporating the flour.
3. When the eggs have been fully incorporated, use your hands to knead the dough together.
4. Once the dough becomes cohesive; remove the dough, scrape the board clean, dust with flour and begin to knead. Knead the dough with the palm of your hands, folding it over on itself and turning ¼ turn each time.
5. After 10 minutes, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and rest for 45 minutes.
6. For the squash, lightly oil the flesh side, set flesh side down in a roasting tray and roast in a 375F oven until the flesh is soft, about 30 minutes.
7. Using a spoon, scape the soft flesh into a bowl. Add the ricotta, and nutmeg and mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Divide the dough into 3 – 4 equal sized pieces. Roll each through progressively thinner settings on a pasta machine until thin. Cut into 4 inch squares.
9. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with a small splash of water. Place a large teaspoon size dollop of filling in the center of a pasta square, brush the sides with the egg mixture and top with another pasta square, pressing down on all sides. Reserve to a parchment lined baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining pasta.
10. In a large skillet, melt the butter until it foams. Keep warm.
11. To complete, bring 6 quarts of water to boil with 2 tablespoons salt. Gently drop the ravioli in the water and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Remove and drain, reserving a few tablespoons cooking water.
12. Add the ravioli, sage and cooking liquid to the pan with the butter. Toss over medium heat to coat with the butter.
13. To serve, place 2 or 3 ravioli in a bowl, cover with butter and sage. Garnish with shredded Parmesan and grated amaretti cookie.