Lobster Mac and Cheese
1 pound pasta – I chose cavatappi
2 cups cooked lobster meat, roughly chopped
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
4 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper
3 – 4 cups grated cheese, such as a combination of cheddar and Gruyere
½ cup grated parmigiano cheese
¾ cup panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place 8 large ramekins on a sheet tray.
2. Cook pasta in boiling salted water until just al dente. Drain well and drizzle with a little olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking together.
3. Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan (large enough to contain the cooked pasta). When melted, whisk in the flour to make a roux. Cook on low for 5 minutes and continue to whisk, until the roux reaches a light caramel color.
4. Slowly whisk in the milk, turn up the heat and continue to whisk until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the cheeses and stir until melted; Add the pasta and lobster meat and stir until just incorporated. Divide the pasta mixture among the 8 ramekins.
6. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and add the panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the panko evenly on top of the 8 ramekins.
7. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the breadcrumbs have browned. Let cool slightly and serve.