Roast Pumpkin Salad
In the fall I make this with fresh local sugar pumpkins. If not available, butternut squash makes a perfect alternative.
3 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 tablespoon butter
3 or 4 fresh sage leaves
1 head radicchio, roughly chopped
3 ounces goat cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Pre heat oven to 375F.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy ovenproof skillet together with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the sage and wilt for 2 minutes.
3. Saute the pumpkin in the oil/butter/sage over medium heat about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and roast in the oven about 15 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly, until cooked but not overly soft.
5. Remove from the oven, discard the sage, and set pumpkin aside in a bowl.
6. In the same pan, over medium heat, toss the radicchio with a splash of olive oil until just wilted. Add to the bowl with the pumpkin and toss to combine. Season to taste.
7. Serve the pumpkin on a platter or dish topped with crumbled goat cheese and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.